Wednesday 12 September 2012

C2C August 2003 - my first tour

I got into cycling 'proper' in 2002 and soon embarked on my first tour in August 2003 - the classic Coast to Coast, Whitehaven to Sunderland.  I wasn't very 'cycle fit' and only had a heavy mountain bike - but ignorance was bliss and so 3 friends and I organised the trip and we went for it.

The dynamic quartet was Nige, Gordon, Dean and me and we were ably supported by a back up vehicle driven by Ian (this was the first and last time I've used a back up vehicle - as it turns out its a good job I did).

Now this account is from memory - aided by photos of the trip so it might contain one or two inaccuracies, but I'll try to keep as close to the facts as possible.

We did the trip over 3 days - so here goes:

We left home at about 7am aiming to drive the 150 miles or so to Whitehaven for a 10am ish start.  We had a good run and arrived to bright sunshine.  We changed in the bandstand by the official start and lined up for the traditional photo - dipping our back wheels into the sea in the time honoured fashion.  As I recall it was a Friday morning and there were very few people about - since then I've passed the start point on a handful of occasions and there has always been loads of people preparing to set off - testimony to how popular the route has become over the last 10 years.


The route took us through a housing estate on the outskirts of Whitehaven and then on towards the distant mountains.  The route followed a mix of well surfaced cycle paths and quiet country roads.  I was using an official C2C guidebook but the route was so well signed that I could easily have done without it.

Dean 'falling off' - hilarious.
After what seemed like ages we climbed (pushed) over the Whinlatter Pass and descended into Keswick.  By this time we were down to 3, as Dean was unwell and so was riding in the support vehicle.  This was a stoke of luck on my part as I mashed my cheap chain set trying to climb the Whinlatter - this rendered my bike unrideable but I was able to continue to Keswick on Deans bike.


Nige
The lads

A visit to a very helpful bike shop in Keswick resulted in a new chain and a straightened chain wheel and with that I was back on the road.  We continued on to Mungrisedale and the Vicarage B&B (I don't think it operates as a B&B any more - which is a shame as it was excellent and the owners were very helpful).   We spent the evening at the Mill Inn http://www.the-millinn.co.uk which was excellent, with fine home made pies.





After a very large full english breakfast we set off away from Cumbria across the Eden Valley towards the big climb up to Hartside summit.  I cant really remember much about it except just how long and steep it seemed.  At this stage I hadn't really done much cycling and I was beginning to pay for it as the photos below show.
Nigel receiving attention to his dodgy back.
Me trying to look cheerful




Try as I may I cant really recall that much about the rest of the day.  What I do recall is that it started to rain heavily and there were lots of hills - far too many for my liking.  It turned into a bit of a gruelling ride if I'm honest.


























We stayed in a lovely B&B but I cant recall exactly where it was, heres a photo.  From now on I must make a point of not waiting 10 years before recording events - my memory is not great at the best of times.










I seem to recall another large breakfast (a clear highlight of the ride, seeing as I cant remember much else) we set off through Northumberland, past beamish and the urban sprawl of newcastle and on past Sunderland's stadium of Light to finish at Roker Pier.  Where Ian our support driver had bought champagne to celebrate.


No comments:

Post a Comment