Tuesday 14 August 2012

Brittany journal - day 12


4/6 - Day 12 – miles cycled = 35, total so far 379

Slept like a log and woke at 8 to dark grey skies.  Breakfast today was tea, orange juice and a ham and cheese baguette (almost a ‘continental breakfast’!).  I mooched around for a couple of hours before heading off across the river Rance towards St Suilliac and the Rance valley.

It was considerably cooler today and early on I got caught in a couple of short sharp showers.  Cycling on a load free bike felt great, even the hills felt easy.  Today being Monday, most places were closed and I had problems stocking up on food.  I did eventually find a boulangerie open in Chateauneuf d’ille et Villaine and I bought a flan (similar to a pizza) for dinner, 2 croissants for tomorrows breakfast and some milk.  





















I then headed back to Dinan for lunch by the river (Ham, frites, coffee and a beer) before a couple of hours people watching and a steady ride back to the campsite.  I’d cycled 35 miles in all.








I decided it was time to wash my fetid clothes so made use of the campsites laundry (I had hand washed daily but seemed to be fighting a losing battle).  On my way back from the laundry I spotted a familiar face(s) – it was Mike and Chris – a real coincidence.  After catching up on the previous 4 days experiences we decided to go to a local bar tabac for a beer or two.

After dinner we wandered into Taden to a lovely little bar by the manoir, we had a few drinks and a great time.  Solo touring has its advantages – such as going at your own pace, stopping where and when you feel like it, eating whenever or wherever takes your fancy etc., but it can be a lonely thing and it was great to have company again.

I got back to my tent at around 11.30 feeling pretty squiffy – an excellent evening.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that was a great evening, Pete. Good to read your blog and am looking forward to the final instalment. You're going to be doing this all over again soon, lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike. I know, can't wait! Have you managed to plan anything? I'm going to post a short diary of our recent annual boys cycle trip around the borders. You would be welcome to join us next year if you fancy it - we haven't decided where to go yet mind.

    ReplyDelete